Tuesday 10 September 2013

Patchwork, Recycle and Rice Pudding

Another positive day.  I have already made 12 inserts for the Retirement Patchwork Quilt from the post, kept two stamps for charity and cut up what was left over from the envelopes to either make fire logs or go in the compost bin. 

Made four 1 pint rice pudding, which may seem excessive, however there is room in the freezer which really needs to be used to keep the freezer to maximum efficiency.

RICE PUDDING

2oz                         Pudding Rice
2oz                         Sugar
1 pint                      Milk
1 knob                     Butter
                              Nutmeg

Place pudding rice, sugar, milk and butter in a freezer and cooking friendly dish.  I use my “old faithful”, my pyrex dishes and stir.  Grate nutmeg on top and pop in the oven on gas mark 2 or electric 150 degrees for 2 hours.

As I said, I made 4, 2 on each shelf and used the bottom of the oven to dry out excess bread.  The bread is the ends of bread that have gone slightly stale but can still be used for other means.  If it is not too bad, it can be used for making puddings and tarts, such as adding extra bite to a crumble or treacle tart.  If it is slightly stale my husband appreciates me keeping it to be used as bait for his fishing.  And off course, during the winter months it can be used to help feed the birds.  As our winters are getting harsher for the local wildlife a little help doesn’t go amiss.  I will emphasise though, that with all summers natural goodies going begging, that I do not put food out for them during this time. 

I’ve done the daily visit to the composter to feed the worms to keep them happy.  As eccentric as it may sound, if I’ve got happy worms I know that in approximately 2 years time I will have some excellent compost to put on the garden.  Saves money buying from the DIY Stores or Garden Centres. 

And after the normal family household chores are done, I still have time to settle down and to crochet a bit more of the baby blanket for my friend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment