Wednesday 11 September 2013

Cross-stitch Christmas Cards

We're into September now and although a bit late starting, it is time for making Christmas cards.  I love making cross-stitch Christmas cards and try something new each year.

There are a lot of freebie patterns on the internet that can be downloaded and adapted for use.  The Aida and Dmc/Anchor thread can work out to be expensive if you allow it to be.  Alternatively, I have found that going on e-bay and always put in for "free delivery" helps. (On principle, I never pay delivery charges).  

Recently I have found that I can purchase 14 count Aida, with free delivery, from America for an average 64 pence.  The same size piece of Aida from local hobby shops costs between £2.99 to £3.99, so immediately we have a saving.

Dmc/Anchor averages, depending where you shop, 79 pence per skein to over a pound.  To me, that's not good :(.  Once again, e-bay, or even Fabricland who have a nice choice of embroidery threads available.  They may not have a brand name on the label, they are just as good.  

Making a card doesn't have to be financially expensive.  The enjoyment of making the card and giving it to somebody you love is priceless.

I've chosen a mistletoe this year as my theme.  It takes 4 colours to make and looks really good.




I started with the dark green and cross-stitched part of the mistletoe leaves. This is followed by the lighter green, white and orange.  The cross-stitch was finished off with back stitching around the mistletoe berry.





This will be enjoyable and I think I will be making a few of these for my friends and family.  Just to change the back ground from orange to different colours will make them individual for different people.



No comments:

Post a Comment